Friday, April 22, 2011

CCA Library: What it Truly Means

Library is a CCA not appreciated by many students in the school, deeming it as a CCA just to waste time and fulfill one's CCA commitments. But indeed, there is more than that the student population do not know. Firstly, why is there even CCA Library in the first place? This just tells us that the school administrative feels that we are important to the school; we make a contribution to the school. Library is not a competitive CCA, it is not a CCA where we bring glory to the school and we bring back trophies, it is not about that. Library is a CCA in which we are committed too; it is a Service Learning CCA, where we contribute to the school population for their needs and the welfare.

I have been in this CCA for more than one year. During the Secondary One Orientation, I opted not to pay any attention to my seniors’ introducing this particular CCA but now, I apparently reflect on my actions then. Surprisingly, towards a CCA that I showed no interest in during the Orientation, I have developed a passion for my CCA. So, what made me join this CCA? Yes, of course there is influence from my parents, it is a CCA that I saw as “lackluster” and there was no need to devote so much time to it. Thus, I would be able to concentrate on my studies and excel academically. Yes, that was my thinking in the past but that mindset has changed.

As a Secondary One, I would do what is expected of me and excel well in CCA. If I was ever going to be a librarian, I told myself: Be the Best One. That’s it but now what I really experience is the hard work. The job of a librarian is not going about shelving, wrapping, cataloguing books but it is more than that. Together, we experience fun moments such as our annual Library Camp during the June Holidays. Now, I have grown and become a much more mature gentleman, knowing what this CCA is all about. As each year passes, this CCA is much more involved in the school’s activities and recently, we were the organizers of Library Week and World Book Day. However, it would not have been successful if not for the guidance of our teachers. Lastly, we will bring glory to the school soon. We have participated in writing based competitions such as the Global Book Report Competition.#

To me: I only have a message for myself. I was that ignorant Secondary One boy that wasn’t paying attention to my senior. Now, it is my turn to promote this CCA and library to parents during the Open House. I know what this CCA truly means and I will try my very best to convey the spirit of us, librarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment